Love is not just rainbows and butterflies. It’s unrealistic to believe we can be with someone for the rest of our lives without putting in any work at all. Love is often about conflict and arguments, but also about finding solutions together at the end of the day.
Chances are we’ve all known the dark side of romance. And we may have learned some very harsh truths about human relationships. Breakups are brutal and devastating, but does love hurt? Here are some quotes that reveal another side of romantic affairs.
1. Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. Voltaire
2. Starve the ego, feed the soul. Mia Astral
3. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. Carlos Castenada
4. Nobody deserves your tears, but whoever deserves them will not make you cry. Gabriel Garcia Marquez
5. Be strong enough to let go and wise enough to wait for what you deserve.
6. Life can change so fast, so unexpectedly. Love when you can, while you can and as much as you can.
7. I will be waiting here. For your silence to break, for your soul to shake, for your love to wake. Rumi
8. My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return. Maya Angelou
9. Relationships last long because two people made a choice to: keep it. Fight for it. And work for it.
10. There is no love without forgiveness, and there is no forgiveness without love. Bryant H. McGill
11. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness. Friedrich Nietzsche
12. The beginning of love is to let those we love be perfectly themselves, and not to twist them to fit our own image. Otherwise we love only the reflection of ourselves we find in them. Thomas Merton
13. Falling in love and having a relationship are two different things. Keanu Reeves
14. Relationships survive on trust, and if that is broken at any point, it’s pretty much the end of the relationship. Besides, inability to communicate leads to problems. Yuvraj Singh
15. Nothing is perfect. Life is messy. Relationships are complex. Outcomes are uncertain. People are irrational. Hugh Mackay