Emotional abuse has many faces, but it always leads to pain. When it comes to children and the emotional abuse they endure from their parents, things become even more complicated. Here are 4 types of emotional abuse many children endure daily.
This is the kind of emotional abuse that lets the child know that he or she is not wanting. The rejection that the parents convey can take many forms:
- Constant criticism
- Exclusion from family activities
- Regret that the child was born
Parents that can’t or won’t provide emotional support for their children, who are ignoring their needs are usually absent. The absence can be physical or emotional, but it comes down to:
- Lack of protection
- Ignoring health problems
- Not taking them in vacation
- Lack of interest in their education
Verbal abuse is a variation of emotional abuse. When parents use their words to humiliate or threaten their children they create an atmosphere of terror and anxiety. Verbal abusive behaviors include:
- Screaming and cursing
- Threats of any kind (to abandon them, to physically abuse them, to hurt their pet or destroy favorite toy etc)
- Telling them they’re adopted when they are not
This involves encouraging or rewarding the child for behaviors that are morally wrong. Or to force them to witness immoral or illegal activities.
- Teach them racist or sexist behaviors or attitudes
- Encouraging them to be violent in any way
- Involving them in illegal activities
Of course, all these types of emotional neglect can lead to plain exploitation, where the child is manipulated or forced to do things that are hurtful to them, but from which parents profit. This can range from giving them responsibilities which are beyond their capabilities to sexual abuse.
An emotionally abused child is the dysfunctional adult of tomorrow. Please, share this!